Water Damage Leads To Mold - First Call Needs To Be To SERVPRO!
Flood-damaged homes are very likely to experience mold damage as moisture permeates the structure of the building for an extended period of time. Mold organisms are found almost everywhere and damp environments allow it to grow and spread through affected areas such as basements, walls, carpet and wood. If you have a flood-damaged home, keep an eye out for discoloration on surfaces and the tell-tale musty odor.
If you notice mold in your home, there are things you can do.
- Get the moisture under control. After a flood, the water must be extracted and the structure dried.
- All porous materials (drywall, carpeting, and ceiling tiles) with mold growth should be discarded.
- Appliances that contain insulation should be discarded as they may harbor mold spores that cannot be seen.
- Heating and air conditioning filters need to be changed. The system will need to be inspected by a professional and may need to be replaced.
- Non-porous materials and surfaces will need to be professionally cleaned depending on the extent of the damage. Remember, if clean up is not handled appropriately, it is likely that the spores will spread.
If you experience a water damage and would like to avoid mold call in local assistance, contact SERVPRO of Kosciusko & Noble Counties. We are available to help 24/7.